Sunday, April 22, 2007
Righteousness

Once again, I'm finding it quite interesting how everything, from every aspect of my life seems to tie together. Just last week, I came across this verse in Romans that really struck me...and then Shaleen mentioned it to me in small groups. And then Mr. Nickel brought up the same subject in Christian Ethics. I love how God works!

That being said, I am actually finding this verse quite confusing:

"For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: The righteous will live by faith." (Romans 1:17).

What exactly is righteousness? I looked it up in the thesaurus and got "virtuous" and "pure". I know that God is both of these...but how can I be? I am flawed, imperfect, unfinished...

I long to be righteous, just like described in Isaiah 61 where it says: "[I will] bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor."

To me this verse paints such a beautiful picture: a lush, green tree with its branches spread wide under the sun. Kind of like the picture on my blog. I want to be a tree like that, evidence of God's redemptive work.

Hmm...this is just a thought, but maybe this is where Stellar Kart got that weird song, "Tree Climber" from...or you know, it could just be totally random!

He takes over my scars and I put my life in His.

Labels:



Erika on 8:43 PM